Cervical Cancer Project Team
February 24, 2009
10:00-12:00, Snelling Office Park
Marva Bohen, Gay Lynn Richards, Marie Tran, Janet Yee, Sheila Pelzel, Princess Poole, Makeisha Nesbitt, Dai Vu
Recorded by: Marie Tran
1. Welcome/Introductions/Announcements: Gay Lynn is back on the team. Dai and Mekeisha joined by phone. Gay updated on MDH hiring SW region coordinator, she will meet with physicians in the area and will bring tool kits and flip charts to them since they are having an increase in the Spanish speaking population
· There is a small number of flip charts available from Marva if anyone need them
· There will be a CD from Quigen for the Spanish tool kit being ordered by Marva to supplement the kits
2. Where do we go from here as the team has completed the original projects?
After much discussion about how much meeting time that will need to sustain the team, taking into account the ability each member can commit to monthly meeting. The team decided that it is best to meet quarterly and ad hoc as needed for event planning
3. New Project:
· January 2010 Cervical Cancer Awareness Event: Janet suggested creating a multi prongs approach event, that will provide the education to lay members as well as physician, provider focus with CEM credits to have a better impact in term of the physicians can reach and educate all the women they see in their daily practice
· Create a DVD for physicians to view and online posttest to fulfill CEM requirement. Marva and Janet will check with the CEM office for more information. Janet suggested enlist the help of a professional for the DVD production
· Screening Events: Many Sage screening event are scheduled for the year, a better focus is needed to target the population in Brooklyn Park area. Gay Lynn is working with SPPH along with Sage to provide women under 40 for Pap and Colposcopy services. Makeisha is coordinating with Open Cities Clinic in St. Paul for Mother Day screening event to 40 women. See Taste and Treat at North Points is scheduled for May 12, 13 and 14, 2009.
· Cervical Tool Kit Evaluation will be ongoing as they are being used
· Health disparity task force: Thursday March 19, 2009
4. Hand out Cervial Tool Kits: Kits were given to Princess for HCMC, ACS staff Makeisha, Rebecca and to be distributed to Open Cities Clinic and West Side clinic, Marie will bring kits to St. Cloud group and CLUES cancer outreach workers.
5. Next meeting: April 28, 2009, 10 to 12:00 Snelling Office Park
Questions to ponder:
- What resource do you as member have in your organization to bring to this Pap Team?
- What you want the physicians to know? Share DVD , or materials that specifically address this disparity in your community.
-Please send your thoughts to Marva Bohen at email@example.com before the next meeting.